I took one of those Sony Ericsson touchscreens I got from DealExtreme, along with a SparkFun Nintendo DS touchscreen breakout board (it works with this touchscreen too), and put it on my KS0108 MONOCHRON GLCD screen after a lot of messing around with wires. The touchscreen is actually a really good size for this screen, it’s just slightly larger but it’s a very good fit. I knew it was a good idea to buy two of them though, because I ended up breaking one of them (the wires are very fragile and it got torn off), which is why I decided to use twenty layers of tape to protect the wires on the second one. The only downside to using this touchscreen with the GLCD is that now I only have one analog input pin left.
Here is the completed room mapping final project! Since last time, I’ve added a very useful smoothing option that makes the plot look less like a bunch of random jagged edges and more like a recognizable shape. There’s also an option to choose different types of shapes to plot with, which makes for some pretty artsy-looking results. It is surprisingly fun to play around with the smoothing options, textures, and shape types, as you can see me doing in the video.
The Arduino/Processing source code can be found here, and if you just want to play around with the plotting program (I’ve included some sample files), you can download an exe file here. You’ll need the ControlP5 library if you want to modify/run the Processing code (not necessary for the exe).
Now that fall semester is over and winter break has begun, I’m gonna start making more stuff! Building on to the color-crossfading ping pong ball, I decided to use the 38kHz infrared receiver module and keychain remote I bought awhile ago to make it remote-controlled. Each button on the remote corresponds to a color, except the power button which turns it off.
Here’s a follow-up to the previous room mapping post. The scanning process is more efficient now, with less wasted movements (and thus faster scanning). Rather than going all the way back to the beginning of a column (for lack of a better term) and scanning down every time the end is reached, it just starts scanning from the bottom up.
The program has been improved too. Aside from the pretty menus (made using ControlP5) and graphical options such as color changing, I’ve added a function that checks the ratio between every side of every quadrilateral. If the ratio between any two sides exceeds a certain threshold (chosen by the user), the quadrilateral isn’t drawn. This makes it so that you don’t have a bunch of really long quadrilaterals connecting points that aren’t actually even connected in reality (see the old video for an example).
My final project for the Arduno microcontroller class is this 3D room mapping thing. It still needs some work but here’s basically what it looks like. An ultrasonic distance sensor is mounted on a servo (which is mounted on another servo), and records the distance of objects located at various angles. Two angles and a distance from the center make up a spherical coordinate system, and those coordinates can be plotted.
The source code for Running Marisa can be found here.
Included with the Arduino GLCD library is a Processing program by Michael Margolis that converts an image into a header file that you can include in your Arduino sketch to display bitmaps using GLCD.DrawBitmap(). It’s pretty convenient, but what if I wanted to include lots of bitmaps, to be used as frames of an animation? I’d have to generate the header files one by one and include all of them, then define some arrays to point to the different frames.
I decided to modify the program to accept a folder as an input, and the output would be a single file containing the headers for all of the files in the array. In addition, at the very end of the file, a pointer array is declared, with each entry in the array pointing to the address of each image. The length of the array is also stored as a variable.
You can download the Processing file and java applet here.
One of our microcontrollers assignments was to use a digital potentiometer as a digital to analog converter. We were given a file with thousands of numerical values, and had to use a digital potentiometer to convert the values to an analog voltage, and using an audio connector and headphones/speakers, had to identify the song. In addition, a potentiometer is used to change the playback speed.
Sorry about the fact that the audio is kinda low.
Making things spin is fun.
Made a cave-navigation game using a Spectra Symbol softpot. The resistance of the softpot changes depending on where you press it, so you can do an Arduino analogRead() on the voltage output to determine where the circle goes on the screen. You have to make sure to add a resistor (I think I used a 100k resistor) going from the middle pin to ground (or power), or else the output floats.
Code available in the full post.